Friday, June 16, 2017

Album Review: 'Bury Me in Philly' by Dave Hause

Title:  Bury My in Philly (Official, Rise RecordsAmazon, iTunes, Spotify)
Artist:  Dave Hause (Official, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify, Wikipedia)

Dave Hause's third solo full-length is an absolute, unequivocal, incontrovertible joy.  From start to finish Bury Me in Philly is pure rock 'n' roll gold that harkens back to the pop rock glory days of the 1980s.  Now on the surface that might sound like a bad thing but trust me, it isn't.  Taking cues from artists like Bryan Adams and The Hooters, Hause has crafted a record that is dipping with hooks, melodies, and earnest pop sensibilities.  Produced by Hooters' frontman Eric Bazilian, Bury Me in Philly truly is the modern descendant of Bryan Adams' 1984 classic Reckless.  The songs are catchy, full of heart, and powered by pure soul.  I understand that comparing a punk-turned-troubadour singer/songwriter to one of the 1980s pop rock megastars may seem odd if not sacrilegious but it works.  I was in elementary school in 1984 when Reckless came out and I remember with great fondness the power and heart of songs like "Heaven," "Summer of '69," and the brilliant duet with Tina Turner "It's Only Love."  There was a simplicity and an innocence to those songs that filled you with joy and that is the same kind of feeling I get each time I listen to Bury Me in Philly.  What Hause has over Adams and The Hooters is depth and a sincerity born from coming up through the punk rock underground.  Had this album come out at a time when rock 'n' roll records still churned out hits, I have no doubt that songs like "With You," "The Flinch," and the title track would have ruled the charts and airwaves.  

I have been listening to this record for months, picking apart the lyrics and practically meditating on the melodies, and each time I put it on I find something new to love.  Each and every song on this album kills in its own unique way making for a satisfying and spiritual journey.  Trying to put into words how much I love this record has been a challenge.  From the moment I got it, I knew that I was hearing something truly special and that feeling has only grown stronger and deeper with each passing day and rotation.  Bury Me in Philly is the kind of record that speaks not only straight from the heart but straight into your soul.  Dave Hause is a tremendous songwriter and this record is the perfect showcase for his ever expanding talents and skills.  Bury Me in Philly fills my heart with hope, brings joy to my soul, and gives me chills all at the same time.  This is truly a rock 'n' roll masterpiece, a timeless piece of musical perfection that is destined to save souls through its power and purpose.  Thank you Mr. Hause, thank you.



No comments: